February 16, 2013

"Gotta Catch Em All!" My New Love of Car Spotting

Pretty Blue
As I mentioned on my Facebook page about a month ago, I've finally acquired my first DSLR, a Nikon D50 with an 18-55mm lens.  Words can't describe how excited I was to finally have a real camera to improve the quality of my photographs and my skills as a budding automotive photographer.  I look for every opportunity to use it. So lately, I've been compelled to carry my camera with me everywhere I go in hopes of catching some good cars in the wild.  I've now taken up an interest in car spotting.

Nice Z
Just as the name suggests, spotting is simply a matter of being in the right place at the right time to see a vehicle worth capturing.  It's often just dumb luck.  Being out in Riverside, it's a bit more challenging, but not impossible.  As I go to and from class or wherever else on a daily basis I keep my eyes peeled just in case something goes by.

3 Series in the Lot
I've only just started, but I have to tell you, it's a lot trickier than it looks.  Noticing the car is not enough, you have to be quick enough to get the shot if it's driving by or have the time and ability to get closer to it if you see it parked or sitting at a light.  In the past week alone I can recall at least seven or eight cars that got away from me, and I was disappointed.  My mantra for spotting is "gotta catch em all" but it's a lot easier said than done.  Sometimes I'm going to miss one.

At the Intersection
Even though I've barely wet my feet when it comes to serious spotting, I'm already incredibly excited by the experience.  I get a great sense of satisfaction when I do catch a good car and walk away with a photo I can actually share.  No more blurry iphone photos for me (hopefully)!

I'm really looking forward to this new subarea of my hobby, and I can't wait to share more photos as I go along.  Be sure to check Facebook & Flickr often, I see things on almost a daily basis now.  With luck I will almost always have my camera and I'll get the shot(s).

-Etoria ❤

0 comments:

Post a Comment