May 7, 2012

Show & Go Car Show for Charity

GEDC2227
This past weekend marked the thirteenth annual Show & Go Car Show for Charity in Downtown Riverside, CA.  For those unfamiliar with the area, Riverside has a rich automotive history, so it's only fitting there would be a show of this magnitude held there.

GEDC2389
About one thousand cars attended: most of them classics, hot rods, muscles, and kits.  The show was so extensive the entire downtown area had been closed off to regular traffic.   Surrounded by vehicles of eras past, I felt like I had stepped back in time.

GEDC2261
I have a confession to make though: I am horrible at identifying classics and hot rods, save for iconic cars that everybody knows.  As I walked up and down each street, I had a difficult time discerning what many of the cars were.

GEDC2269
Unless they had obvious badging to help me figure it out, I was completely stumped.  All I knew was they were simply gorgeous to behold.

GEDC2374

GEDC2270GEDC2312

GEDC2344

GEDC2366

GEDC2281 Of course there were some vehicles I couldn't possibly mistake, like this 1960 Corvette.

GEDC2401
Or this A/C Cobra (couldn't get close enough to tell if it was a replica or the real deal).

GEDC2370
The impalas were easy to spot, they were some of lowest cars at the show.  (These were getting slammed to the ground before the JDM crowd thought it was cool).

GEDC2206
Nothing says "old school" quite like a big Cadillac with fins. Very much how Mercedes & BMW's are status symbols today,  it was understood that anyone with a Cadillac had it made.

GEDC2224
I think I would've preferred to have one of these instead of a Benz or a Bimmer back in the day.  Cadillac knew how to keep it classy (and still does today).

GEDC2234
While I enjoy the finer things in life, I also admire the rough and tough spirit of a good muscle car.  There were quite a few with big engines, but this Chevelle (I think it's a Chevelle, right?) was one of my favorites.

GEDC2310
So many mustangs showed up I lost count rather quickly, but only a few of them really stood out to me.

GEDC2393

GEDC2390

GEDC2272

GEDC2378
And Bel Airs? They were everywhere, and came in different variations.  The coupes and sedans were the most common.
GEDC2355
The convertibles weren't as plentiful but what they lacked in quantity they made up for in quality.

NomadI even saw the wagon version, called a Nomad.

GEDC2397 Amongst all the period-correct restorations I found a multitude of oddities, starting with some interesting color choices.

GEDC2279

GEDC2265

GEDC2214

GEDC2246

GEDC2308
Followed by some builds and modifications that were just plain crazy.

GEDC2345

GEDC2222

GEDC2303

GEDC2402

GEDC2411

GEDC2399
I was also lucky enough to find some treats.  Never thought I'd see a Porsche 356!

GEDC2320
Nor a Ford GT...

GEDC2318
...with the engine exposed for all to see.

GEDC2278
And I certainly was not expecting a Delorean DMC-12.  Had it been a successful time machine though, I suppose it wouldn't come as a surprise to find it on the street sometime in the past.  Maybe the owner really liked all those old cars and wanted to see them in their prime!

GEDC2403
Towards the end of the afternoon however, I was slowly coming back to reality as I encountered some modern vehicles.  It seemed a bit weird for this 350z to be present, it was the only tuner!

GEDC2200
Even though cars have changed, the feeling you get from them remains the same and extends to all generations.  I think that's the whole point of  this event, and I look forward to it again next year.

-Etoria ❤

0 comments:

Post a Comment