November 2, 2011

Featured - Bugatti Veyron 16.4


There were several amazing cars on display at the Petersen,  but none got me like Veyron 16.4. Something about this car draws me in, and I can't resist. So, I decided to do a separate feature for it.


At first glance, the Veyron may not seem all that intimidating, but you have to admit it does have quite a presence. For me, it just seemed to outshine all the other cars in the room.  Those huge vents up front suck in more air in one minute than the average person breathes in four days.


The car sits on monstrous wheels that will cost you $20,000 to change. 987hp at the brakes provide the incredible stopping power needed to slow it down after screaming along at speeds reaching 253mph (the Super Sport model can reach 268mph).


The roundess of the France-based supercar may not be the most attractive to some, but its boisterous design was good enough to make it the fastest production car in the world.  And for that, perhaps we can overlook the fact it ought to be named "gaudy" instead of Bugatti, as one of the museum goers suggested. 


Its mid-mounted W16 engine contains sixteen valves and four turbochargers, which allow the car to rocket from zero to sixty in 2.7 seconds.  At the flip of a switch, the car squats down as low as possible while simultaneously lowering the retractable wing to create additional downforce to keep it glued to the road at high speeds.


My boyfriend constantly teases me about my French heritage, asking what useful thing France has done for the world.  Along with the Statue of Liberty, crepes, and Daft Punk, it gave the world this extraordinary machine, straight from Alsace.  I think that's pretty useful, don't you? 

I'll end with a short video of the Veyron from my iPod.  I do apologize for the quality, but even the absence of HD can't possibly take away from the unique appearance of this impressive machine.

The Bugatti Veyron 16.4 will be on display at the Petersen until February, so hurry if you want to see it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment