October 19, 2011

The Plight of the Female Enthusiast


It may not seem like it, but being a girl who likes cars is a bit challenging. Namely because I often find myself combating stereotypes about my gender. As a girl, it's automatically assumed I must like makeup, clothes, shopping, spending someone else's money, and of course I can't possibly be into cars (or be a good driver).


While I admit I love shopping & cute clothes, the rest of those assumptions are all wrong.  I spend my own money (and actually save a majority of it), I prefer my natural look over makeup, I'm completely obsessed with cars and I've never gotten a ticket or been in an accident since acquiring my license (I can even parallel park!).


Even though it's frustrating to be judged like this all the time, I suppose I can understand.  Most girls are like that,  but I wish people would focus on acknowledging this is a stereotype, not a truth for every girl on the planet. Perhaps if they did, it wouldn't be such an amazing feat for a girl like me to have the interests that I do.


But since that's the case, I feel it's my mission to get out there and show the world it's possible for a girl to not only like cars, but be serious about taking every opportunity to be involved with them so that her appreciation for them continues to grow.



Personally, I think every girl should learn a thing or two about cars.  You've got nothing to lose, but plenty to gain! You might be surprised to find you possess a deep passion for these machines that you didn't even know you had (like my unbridled admiration for Aston Martins).


With that being said,  I hope I can get people to open their minds to the idea that any person can like any thing.  In the mean time, enjoy the photos! I'll make sure to post new ones frequently.

1 comment:

  1. As i said before (if i did) is good to see that someone like you are worried about it. And you know the world is full of stereotypes.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete